The 17th district of Paris is one of the twenty districts of Paris. It is located on the right bank of the Seine northwest of the city. It is bounded on the westby Neuilly-sur-Seine and Levallois-Perret, south by 16th and 8th districts, east by the 18th district and north by Clichy-la-Garenne etSaint-Ouen.
Very extended from west to east, the 17th district includes several neighborhoodsincluding the Ternes.
In the Middle Ages, the Bishop of Paris had a farm beyond its land, called VillaExterna. Latter was due "Estern" then "Ternes". Pierre Habert (1605-1637), poet andvalet of Henry III, bought this house to transform it into a castle. It was around this castle that the hamlet grew des Ternes, which in the Revolution, was built in the town of Neuilly.
When the town became part des Ternes in Paris in 1860, it had 16,000 inhabitants.
Today the neighborhood is a lively, with many markets including the famous Poncelet Market, just steps from the Arc de Triomphe, up the Avenue de Wagram ...